selfportrait.net's blog covering community artists, gallery shows, and the whereabouts of young entrepreneurs and artistic talents from NY, LA, London, Paris, the world.

Saturday, June 9, 2007

Guitar Anti-Hero

Almost every evening since school let out two weeks ago I've been going to Jesse's house for some post-work sessions of Guitar Hero II (and to be fed by Jesse's stepmom, Ali (thanks, Ali!)). Though I'm a naturally musical person, and do play the guitar, Guitar Hero is probably the closest I'll ever come to real shredding. But, it's not a bad substitute - knocking out Wolfmother's 'Woman' on Expert is a pretty satisfying experience. Charlie, of Hysterics, who really CAN shred, joined us one night and cut his teeth on the mini-ax; he was a natural. I asked him afterwards how similar he found Guitar Hero to real guitar playing. Hardly at all, he said, but it definitely strengthens the wrist muscles and tendons. That may be, but after several marathons I'm beginning to suspect the onset of mild arthritis.

I have a reputation in my group of close friends for being a quick learner, particularly when it comes to games (ping-pong, foosball, Icy Tower), and I think I've followed suit with Guitar Hero, so much so that Jonny suspects me of secretly owning an XBOX 360 (which I do not!) and practicing at home. It may be that I have good hands - I have long, tendrily fingers, and practiced classical piano for the better part of my youth - though, to be honest, I'm a bit clumsy when it comes to hand-eye coordination (I've never been good at magic, for instance). There's pressure though, in being expected to excel at things. When Theo came over and I couldn't find my rhythm on 'Killing in the Name of', by Rage Against the Machine, I was a little embarrassed. In fact, it made me resentful that there was any expectation of my prowess. But then on another evening our intern, Yann, a Guitar Hero newbie, came over, and I was proud, even a little bit cock-sure, to show him how it was done. Don't read this the wrong way, but if there's any videogame whose mastery has some sex appeal, it's Guitar Hero (see love-to-hate-him Kevin Pereira's Attack of the Show! Guitar Hero tutorial here - "you'll get to the point where the notes are just a vague suggestion of how to rock out." <-- tard.) In fact, we know that Ray Chandler and Harley Viera Newton are avid players. Here's a booth-girl at E3 (post-no-bikinis policy) posing with her ax:



So, I'm conflicted about my new-found talent. While I do find improving pleasurable, and do enjoy the kudos that come along with it, I don't like being expected to perform, as if it were part of my identity. I guess you could call me the Guitar Anti-Hero.

Here's a video of some guy nailing the solo of 'Arterial Black', by Drist, a band I'm glad to say I've never heard of.





Author: Paris Ionescu

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

who ever said u were a fast pingpong learner

June 11, 2007 at 6:02 PM  
Anonymous ıcy tower indir said...

the real better than game.

February 11, 2012 at 10:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

converse outlet, longchamp, north face outlet, beats by dre, north face outlet, vans shoes, hollister, new balance, oakley, hollister, vans, mcm handbags, mont blanc, lululemon, timberland boots, instyler, ferragamo shoes, asics running shoes, herve leger, bottega veneta, hollister, gucci, abercrombie and fitch, nike air max, wedding dresses, celine handbags, soccer shoes, reebok shoes, lancel, nfl jerseys, nike roshe, birkin bag, p90x workout, insanity workout, ray ban, jimmy choo shoes, mac cosmetics, ralph lauren, babyliss, montre pas cher, converse, karen millen, chi flat iron, nike air max, valentino shoes, ghd, baseball bats, toms shoes, louboutin, soccer jerseys

September 6, 2016 at 8:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

nike air max, longchamp pas cher, tiffany jewelry, prada handbags, ugg boots, gucci outlet, nike outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, coach outlet, ralph lauren pas cher, ray ban sunglasses, tory burch outlet, oakley sunglasses, louboutin pas cher, louboutin outlet, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, burberry, jordan shoes, ray ban sunglasses, ugg boots, kate spade outlet, christian louboutin outlet, nike roshe run, louis vuitton, kate spade handbags, replica watches, uggs on sale, louboutin, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, nike air max, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton, michael kors, chanel handbags, longchamp, cheap oakley sunglasses, louboutin shoes, prada outlet, tiffany and co, longchamp outlet, nike free, air max, nike free, air jordan pas cher, sac longchamp, replica watches

September 6, 2016 at 8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home